Thousands of people have now pledged to surround UK parliament on Oct 8th by forming a Human Chain. Supporters around the world are holding rallies in solidarity including in Washington DC, with a great line up of speakers like Ben & Jerry’s cofounder Ben Cohen, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Chris Hedges, EPA whistleblower Marsha Coleman-Adepayo, and CIA whistleblower John Kiriakou and more, which is organized by US’s Assange Defense.
Check out Candles4Assange for actions around the world, find your city and join with your friends and family.
The International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) calls on journalists unions, press freedom organisations and journalists to mobilise and express their solidarity.
The European and International Federations of Journalists (EFJ-IFJ) also back global mobilisation on October 8 to free Julian Assange
NUJ members will join others too by forming a human chain around the Houses of Parliament to demonstrate the opposition to the extradition of Julian Assange.
Get your organisation to take part of the Surround Parliament Human Chain.
Model Resolution for organisations, groups, and others to adopt
The national Surround Parliament demonstration on Saturday 8 October is fast approaching. We need the largest possible turnout so we are asking you if you are a member of a trade union or trades council, or political party, campaign or a community organisation or NGO, or a tenant’s group, or church, mosque, synagogue, or any other place of worship, take this model resolution and get your organisation to adopt it. That way the email lists, websites, social media feeds, and organising capacity of your group can help us mobilise.
This Model Resolution notes:
- The imprisonment of Julian Assange in Belmarsh high security prison.
- The attempt by the US government to extradite Julian Assange for revealing the truth about the Iraq and Afghan wars, and about Guantanamo bay.
- The US government attempt to use the 1917 espionage act in order if convicted to imprison Assange for a 175 year sentence.
This organisation believes:
- That a free press is essential to the proper working of a democratic society.
- That Julian Assange revealed material that was wholly in the public interest.
- The Julian Assange should not be extradited to the US and the charges against him should be dropped.
This organisation resolves:
- To affiliate to the Don’t Extradite Assange campaign.
- To support the ‘Surround Parliament’ national demonstration on Saturday 8 October in support of Julian Assange.
- To publicise this event to our members and supporters and to encourage them to attend.
- Where possible to assist with transport to the protest.
- To send the banner of our organisation where such exists
Stella Assange: Courage calls to Courage everywhere. Surround Parliament Oct 8 – form a human chain
‘Julian is fighting for his life – his life depends on not being extradited to the United States.
This is a political case, it can be stopped here and it must be stopped here.
So on the 8th of October, come to London to show your solidarity, come help free Julian Assange.
Thank you for your support‘ – Stella Assange
Please join us in London on Saturday, 8th October in front of Parliament at 1pm to form a Human Chain to demand Julian Assange’s freedom.
Will you be part of the human chain to free Assange? We need your help to be part of this huge protest in support of Julian Assange and a free press. Please do sign up to pledge that you’ll be at Parliament to be part of the chain of support that will go from the front of parliament over Westminster bridge, along the south bank of the Thames and back over Lambeth bridge. Please be a link in the solidarity chain. Sign up here:
Birmingham TUC is organising a coach to London from Birmingham and West Midlands. Get in touch with Stuart regarding availability and tickets.